Breads + Baked Goods
Dips + Sauces
Dips and Sauces
- 10 cups tomatoes (Roma preferred), chopped and seeded
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 large tart apples, cored and chopped
- 5 whole cloves
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 5 pieces of whole or pinches of ground all spice
- 1 Tbs sea salt
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 Tbs Sucanat (raw unprocessed sugar- if you don’t have any, I suppose you could use regular sugar)
- 2 sprigs fresh sage (or 1 Tbs dry)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (or 1/2 Tbs dry)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Measure out all the spices (accept sage and rosemary) and tie them up in a little square of gauze, cheesecloth, or light cotton fabric (good use for an old but clean t-shirt) with a thread to form a little bag.
- Process tomatoes, onions and apples in a food processor or blender. As this is a large recipe, you have to do this in batches.
- Pour processed ingredients along with the spice bag into a pot. Simmer until volume is reduced into one half
- Chop the sage and rosemary and to the pot.
- Add salt, vinegar, sucanat and cayenne powder and bring to a boil again.
- Turn off the heat and pour hot ketchup into jars. If using sterilized jars, seal immediately. Otherwise let cool and then cover and store in fridge or freezer.