At the Academy of Culinary Nutrition, we love tasty and health-supportive recipes – and we also love using our culinary skills to support a great cause. For the seventh time, our graduates have donated their amazing recipes for our digital cookbook, From Scratch Cooking 2020 Edition. All of the proceeds will be donated to charity and today we’re sharing an easy breakfast frittata recipe from the book so you can get a taste of what you’re in for!
What began as an experiment in 2014 to raise money for charity has now become a yearly tradition. It’s an important way for our graduates to share the delicious recipes they developed during their time as Culinary Nutrition Expert students and to contribute to a much-needed cause. Food security has always been a challenge around the world, but in these current world circumstances, it has come to the forefront urgently.
At the Academy of Culinary Nutrition, we aim to share the fundamental importance of how food and culinary skills can transform our health and the health of the world. When we combine this knowledge with the creativity of our students, that’s when the magic in the kitchen happens. Giving is a big part of the plan.
We have a rare luxury that most people on the planet do not. We are able to choose the food we eat to fuel our cells and our lives. And we want everyone else to have the same choices.
We aim to raise $15,000 for Thrive and we hope you will consider supporting this goal with your purchase of From Scratch Cooking 2020.
More About Thrive
We love this amazing organization and are thrilled to be once again contributing to their work of helping local communities grow their own food and become self-sustaining. Thrive (formerly Organics 4 Orphans) focuses on four key areas:
- Organic Gardening: Using organic growing techniques to grow a variety of food year-round in difficult, dry, or barren areas.
- Nutrition: Selecting local and nutrient-dense crops that will best support health (that’s culinary nutrition!)
- Natural Medicine: Growing herbal medicine plants that can help protect and address a variety of common health conditions.
- Income Generation: Teaching farmers to earn an income from their crops in a self-sustaining way.
They also recently launched the Thrive Institute, an online learning platform that empowers and equips students with the training needed to start ‘Life Gardens’ and grow nutritious, disease-fighting foods.
CUMULATIVE IMPACT OF FROM SCRATCH COOKING
From Scratch Cooking has had an incredible impact around the world in the last six years. These are some of the amazing results:
- In 2014, we raised $2,500 for Charity: Water and $4,000 for Thrive. These funds trained a community leader, brought wells to three communities, and fed over 200 orphans with fresh, organic food.
- In 2015, we raised $5,000 for Kiva, a lending organization that helps people around the world start their own businesses. The money funded 35 projects that span a variety of countries and industries. Nearly 90% of our loan recipients were women, and more than half were working in the food and agriculture sectors. Many of these loans have already been repaid and we’ve been able to subsequently lend more than $9,800 to borrowers all over the world!
- We raised an additional $2,500 in 2015 to support the Canadian Red Cross on the ground following the Nepal earthquake.
- In 2016, we raised $12,400 for Pencils of Promise, a non-profit that helps to build schools in Ghana, Guatemala, and Laos. Your contributions have helped Pencils of Promise build schools for those who need them most, as well as fund programs that focus on teacher support, community health, and student literacy.
- In 2017, we chose a national Canadian charity called Community Food Centres Canada, a non-profit that creates welcoming spaces where people come together to grow, cook, share, and advocate for good food. We raised $10,500, which went towards food access and food skill programs in local Canadian communities.
- Following the hurricanes in September 2017 that ravaged the Caribbean, we raised an additional $2,000 for the Canadian Red Cross.
- In 2018, we raised $12,000 for Thrive.
- In 2019, we raised $18,220 for Thrive.
- In early 2020, we raised $5,000 for Red Cross Australia.
That’s nearly $70,000 we’ve raised for charity through tasty recipes.
From Scratch Cooking 2020 includes:
- 41 incredible gluten- and dairy-free recipes
- Vegan and paleo options
- Culinary nutrition tips
- Instant download upon purchase
- Pay-what-you-can pricing from $15
- 100% of proceeds go to Thrive
Breakfast Frittata: A From Scratch 2020 Recipe
Today, we want to share one of the From Scratch Cooking 2020 recipes with you. It’s a super tasty and easy Breakfast Frittata from Culinary Nutrition Expert Christine Bullajian.
She graduated from the Culinary Nutrition Expert Program in 2019 and combines her culinary expertise, passion for cooking, and critical care nursing experience to deliver delicious and wholesome recipes and products that everyone can enjoy. After finishing the program, Christine founded Paleo Nut, an incredible line of Paleo baking mixes.
This is such a great savory breakfast that will leave you satisfied and help fuel your body through the morning! It’s a recipe that can easily be modified based on your preferences or what you have in the fridge. The veggies could be swapped for others and the sausage could be swapped for any meat you desire, or you can leave out the meat and still get plenty of protein.Print
For more fantastic recipes like this, get your copy of From Scratch Cooking 2020 Edition, which is only available for a limited time. Pay-what-you-can pricing begins at $15. If purchasing the book isn’t possible for you at this time, then please take the time to share this post! Every little bit helps.