This gluten-free and dairy-free chocolate avocado pudding recipe will help you become more zen. It’s an after-dinner superfood treat that will wind you down for the evening, increase and help your digestion and set you up for a blissful evening full of good vibes and a great mood. (Of course, if you’d like to enjoy this anytime of the day then that’s cool too!)
This delicious gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan recipe comes from our 2018 edition of From Scratch Cooking, our annual e-cookbook for charity. For this project our Culinary Nutrition Expert Program graduates donate their recipes and we give 100% of the proceeds to worthy causes.
Culinary Nutrition Expert Jennifer Barr created this dreamy chocolate avocado pudding. Jenn is a meal prep wizard – we are seriously in awe of her. Each week, she shares her beautiful and nutritious creations on her Instagram account The Planted One, along with handy menu planning tips and advice.
Avocados are the star of this pudding show, and they’re packed with fantastic and nutritious fats that help to balance blood sugar and reduce inflammation. Coconut milk adds more creaminess and is digestive-friendly, maple syrup lends a natural sweetness, and raw cacao powder (chocolate) gives that burst of antioxidants and mood-boosting compounds.
If you’re making dessert for a crowd, this recipe can be easily tripled or quadrupled and we promise you won’t have any leftovers. Or, you can triple it for your own meal prep and eat it all yourself!
Serves: Serves 2
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted and the flesh scooped out
- ⅓ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Small handful spinach
- 3 Tbsp raw cacao powder
- 2 dates (chopped and pits removed)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 ½ Tbsp chia seeds
- Optional: 1 tsp of calming Reishi or Ashwagandha powder
- Toppings: chopped pistachios, cacao nibs, a little square of your favourite chocolate bar, extra salt or cinnamon
- Place all the ingredients into a food processor, except for the chia seeds, and blend until everything is fully combined.
- Once combined, slowly pour the chia seeds into the food processor and pulse until they are mixed into the pudding.
- Scoop the mixture into a bowl and let it set in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Once it has set, scoop mixture into 2 serving bowls and top with crushed pistachios, cacao nibs, cinnamon, sea salt and a square of your favourite cacao chocolate.
- This will keep in the fridge for up to two days.
For more fantastic recipes like this, get your copy of From Scratch 2018, which is available at pay-what-you-can pricing that begins at $15.