As it’s our first episode back after a break, we thought, hey, why ease in gently when we can dive right back in by tackling one of the most addictive substances on the planet – sugar. Quitting sugar can be really hard!
Sugar is a really interesting topic when it comes to nutrition because so often we think we’re eating well by buying organic or shopping at health food stores, but we can still be falling prey to the sweet tooth. Sugar is sugar, so let’s dive in.
Subscribe and listen to the Today Is The Day Podcast on:
If you’re loving the show, please be sure to leave a review!
Covered In This Episode
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- The different names for sugar and where it hides
- The staggering amount of sugar we’re unknowingly consuming each year
- The impact sugar has on various functions of the body
- The social implications of sugar and how it creates bonding
- The association between sugar and cancer risk
- The shocking impact sugar has on the immune system
- How to best kick the habit and approach quitting sugar
- Where artificial sweeteners fit in with this conversation
- Our favourite sweet recipes that have no added sugar
Additional Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- How Not to Be Fooled by the Label
- How To Get a Good Night’s Sleep
- Fed Up
- Being Sugar-Free: How I Did It
- 7 Day No Sugar Challenge
- Are You Addicted to Sugar?
- Role of sugar in human neutrophilic phagocytosis
- Sugar and Cancer: What’s the Link?
- Can You Reverse Inflammation Permanently?
- Salt Sugar Fat
- How to Ensure Bullet Proof Immunity
- Culinary Nutrition Guide to Natural Sweeteners
- Culinary Nutrition Guide to Honey
- Artificial Sweeteners: Weight Gain and Other Side Effects
- How to Deal With Sugar Cravings
- The UnDiet Cookbook
- The Best Banana Pancakes
- Dairy-Free Mango Parfait
- Orange Almond Cake
- Cranberry Baked Oatmeal
- Culinary Nutrition Expert Program preview video and learn more
- Meghan on Instagram
- Meghan on Facebook
- Functional Nutrition Certification Program
- Functional Reset Program
- Josh on Instagram
- Josh on Facebook
More About The Culinary Nutrition Expert Program
- Program Overview: Check out the Culinary Nutrition Expert Program preview video and learn more
- RSVP to our next Program Information Session
- Free Training! Get instant access to a free Culinary Nutrition Mini Training
- Download and snuggle in with our Course Catalogue
- Join the team! Discover how you can become an Academy of Culinary Nutrition Certified Instructor
- Rave Reviews: See what our beloved grads have to say about us
Featured Culinary Nutrition Expert
Richard Blackwood is a community instigator, cooking-from-scratch enthusiast, and avid plant parent. He currently works for Impact Kitchen as a Restaurant Manager and Community Outreach & Diversity Coordinator.
Richard’s journey with food takes him back to bountiful Sunday dinners with his family. The ones where after you feast you want to take a nap. His first experience in the kitchen was trying to cook his favourite dish, stew peas, which came out super salty – he did not cook off the salted pig tail long enough. His mom always laughs when she tells this story.
After having a life-altering accident, Richard turned to cooking to zone out and find peace. He found joy in cooking off the fly and being more mindful of the food he ate. In 2015 Richard became a Culinary Nutrition Expert and also found his passion for advocating against food inequality within marginalized communities.
Learn More: @rtblackwood