There are a multitude of label claims splashed across food products and they can be confusing, luring us to believe certain items are nutritious when companies are merely capitalizing on healthy-sounding buzzwords to sell their wares. Our fifth episode of the Today Is The Day Podcast, “How To Stop Being Fooled By The Label”, is now available on your favourite podcast platforms.
In this episode, we have an important and practical conversation about food labels. We decode what all those nutrition labels and health claims really mean so that you will never again be fooled by the label.
Subscribe and listen to the Today Is The Day Podcast on:
If you’re loving the show, please be sure to leave a review!
Covered In This Episode
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- The little ways labels can confuse you more often than educate you.
- The definition of “healthwashing” and how companies can mislead us into thinking we’re eating healthier than we actually are.
- The one label you really do need to focus on.
- What does “100% natural” actually mean? And what’s the secret about natural vs. artificial flavouring?
- That each of us burn calories at different rates, and that we should adjust for our metabolism.
- That calorie counting is not as important as what’s actually in the ingredient list.
- What fortified foods are and why you should skip them.
- How to take a more skeptical look at organic food labeling.
- Josh and Meghan’s personal hierarchy for selecting food.
- What fair trade labels can tell us about the working conditions where food is grown.
Episode Bonus: Fooled By The Label Cheat Sheet
This episode’s bonus is a printable that offers:
- Tips to help you remember some of the most popular labels
- What the most popular health labels mean
- The symbols you want to look out for
Additional Resources Mentioned In The Episode
- What Is Natural Flavour? Is it Actually ‘Natural’?
- 8 Tips to Avoid Healthwashing
- What Does ‘Naturally Raised’ Mean? Deciphering Meat Labels
- The Secret to Reading Nutrition Labels
- Stop Feeding Kids These 5 Ingredients
- Is Activated Charcoal the Latest Victim of Healthwashing?
- What’s Better for You: Butter or Margarine?
- Artificial Sweeteners: Weight Gain and Other Side Effects
- The Dangerous Side of Vegetable Oils
- Why Goldfish Crackers Don’t Belong in a Lunch Box
- 5 Reasons Why Nutella Should Be Banned From Your Breakfast Table
- 8 Packaged Staple Foods You Can Easily Make From Scratch
Connect With The Hosts
- Culinary Nutrition Expert Program preview video and learn more
- Meghan on Instagram
- Meghan on Facebook
- Functional Nutrition Certification Program
- Functional Reset Program
- Josh on Instagram
- Josh on Facebook
More About The Culinary Nutrition Expert Program
- Program Overview: Check out the Culinary Nutrition Expert Program preview video and learn more
- RSVP to our next Program Information Session
- Free Training! Get instant access to a free Culinary Nutrition Mini Training
- Download and snuggle in with our Course Catalogue
- Join the team! Discover how you can become an Academy of Culinary Nutrition Certified Instructor
- Rave Reviews: See what our beloved grads have to say about us
Featured Culinary Nutrition Expert
Julie McLachlan, Founder of Jule’s Baskets
Julie was part of our first group of online students in 2013 and upon graduating she was out of the gate, starting a gift basket business that has since blown up! She used the skills she acquired in the Culinary Nutrition Expert Program to confidently select the brands she wanted to work with.
Jule’s Baskets is a healthy gift basket company that is thoughtfully curated with nutritious goodies, beauty care and lifestyle products that are designed to support wellness. Gift basket and box options can be catered to specialty diets, new moms, chocolate lovers, tea fanatics and more, as well as customized for special occasions (birthdays, weddings, corporate events, housewarmings) – or just because you want to send a one-of-a-kind gift! We love this approach to gift-giving because it includes products that we’ll actually use and eat.
Learn More: www.julesbaskets.com
Join Our Weekly Challenge!
To help you take what you learn in each episode to the next level, we’re offering new Today Is The Day Podcast challenges in our community group almost every week. Once in a while, Meghan and Josh will also pop in for a post-show Q&A. Join the community here.