From Scratch 2018
We are incredibly proud of many things here at the Academy of Culinary Nutrition: the work of our 1,500 alumni, who are making a difference in their communities around the world; the atmosphere of community and connectedness and perhaps our most favourite – the creativity of our alumni when devising health-supportive recipes. For the 5th time, our graduates are donating their amazing creations to a great cause in From Scratch 2018.
This is the 5th year we’ve compiled our e-cookbook for charity and this edition may just be the best one yet!
What began as an experiment in 2014 to raise money for charity has now become a yearly tradition that we can’t imagine giving up. It’s an important way for our graduates to share the delicious recipes they developed during their time as a Culinary Nutrition Expert student and to contribute to a much-needed cause.
At the Academy of Culinary Nutrition, we aim to share the fundamental importance of how food and culinary skills can transform our health and the health of the world. When we combine this knowledge with the creativity of our students, that’s when the magic in the kitchen happens. Giving is a big part of the plan.
We have a rare luxury that most people on the planet do not. We are able to choose the food we use to fuel our cells and our lives. And we want everyone else to have the same choices.
From Scratch Cooking has had an incredible impact around the world. These are some of the amazing results:
- In 2014, we raised $2,500 for Charity: Water and $4,000 for Organics 4 Orphans, a not-for-profit organization that works to educate communities in East Africa about how they can grow their own sustainable, organic food. These funds trained a community leader, brought wells to three communities and fed over 200 orphans with fresh, organic food.
- In 2015, we raised $5,000 for Kiva, a lending organization that helps people around the world start their own businesses. The money funded 35 projects that span a variety of countries and industries. Nearly 90% of our loan recipients were women, and more than half were working in the food and agriculture sectors. Many of these loans have already been repaid and we’ve been able to subsequently lend more than $9,800 to borrowers all over the world!
- We raised an additional $2,500 in 2015 to support the Canadian Red Cross on the ground following the Nepal earthquake.
- In 2016, we raised $12,400 for Pencils of Promise, a non-profit that helps to build schools in Ghana, Guatemala and Laos. Your contributions have helped Pencils of Promise build schools for those who need them most, as well as fund programs that focus on teacher support, community health and student literacy.
- In 2017, we chose a national Canadian charity called Community Food Centres Canada, a non-profit that creates welcoming spaces where people come together to grow, cook, share and advocate for good food. We raised $10,500, which went towards food access and food skills programs in local Canadian communities.
- Following the hurricanes in September 2017 that ravaged the Caribbean, we raised an additional $2,000 for the Canadian Red Cross.
All told, that’s close to $40,000 we’ve raised for charity through tasty recipes.
This year we are returning to where it all began and donating all of the proceeds of From Scratch 2018 to Organics 4 Orphans. We love this amazing organization and are thrilled to be once again contributing to their work of helping local communities grow their own food and become self-sustaining.
We aim to raise 10,000 for Organics 4 Orphans and we hope you will consider supporting them through your purchase of From Scratch 2018.
The From Scratch 2018 Cookbook includes:
- 40 incredible gluten-free and dairy-free recipes
- Vegan and paleo options
- Culinary nutrition tips
- Instant download upon purchase
- Pay-what-you-can pricing
- 100% of proceeds go to Organics 4 Orphans. A lot of work and a lot of love has gone into the creation of every single recipe.
More Wisdom from our Experts
There are a plethora of staple foods to choose from at the grocery store and sometimes it seems easier to pick up a loaf of…Read More
Millet is a delicious gluten-free grain that we adore – and it’s not just for birdseed! Packed with fibre, antioxidants and magnesium, and just as…Read More
When you’re short on time, quick one-pot meals are the name of the game. There are few homemade meals that are simpler than soup –…Read More
At the Academy of Culinary Nutrition, we teach our students to harness the power of food and create recipes that improve the health of their…Read More
Beans, rice, spice, brightly coloured veggies – this simple recipe for veggie burrito bowls has it all. It’s quick and satisfying, perfect for a weeknight,…Read More
There are times when it can be challenging to eat healthy at work. Between co-worker birthday parties, catered lunch meetings, breaks at the local coffee…Read More