About From Scratch cooking
We are thrilled to be bringing you From Scratch Cooking: 8th Edition featuring the inspiring work of our Culinary Nutrition Expert Program graduates.
All of the recipes and photography were done by our amazingly talented graduates, who graciously donated their work for this fundraising project.
This is a cookbook for a cause — all in support of an amazing organization.
We have gathered together 40+ original recipe creations to help raise money and awareness for the importance of from scratch, health-supportive cooking in elevating the health of ourselves, each other and the planet.
This is the fifth time we have partnered with Thrive (formerly Organics 4 Orphans), an outstanding Canadian-based not-for-profit that donates 100% of earnings to field projects in Africa. At the Academy of Culinary Nutrition, we know the value in bringing people together to grow, cook, share, and advocate for good food. Additionally, we are passionate about empowering communities to work toward a healthy and fair food system. Thrive shares these values.
Thrive seeks to address extreme poverty by helping African communities move from reliance on food aid to conditions of self-sufficiency – even into surplus. They do this by equipping small-scale farmers with the resources and knowledge to farm organically and productively, and then asking those farmers to help orphans in their communities. By alleviating the strain of food insecurity in poor, rural areas, Thrive creates capacity in those communities to care for orphans, the most vulnerable of the extreme poor.
Thrive also offers the Thrive Institute, an online learning platform that empowers and equips students with the training needed to start ‘Life Gardens’ and grow nutritious, disease-fighting foods.
We love that Thrive doesn’t act as a typical charity, giving resources to communities in need, but instead provides resources and education to support self-sufficiency.
- Within one year and for as little as $500, a community can grow 80% of their food and reduce diseases by up to 80%.
- By putting the power of organic agriculture into the hands of people through education, it takes them out of a cycle of aid dependence and into self-reliance.
- The Bio-Intensive method they teach their community leaders is one that requires 50% less water compared to conventional agriculture, uses double-dug beds to help regenerate soil and for easy harvesting, and uses composted organic matter to fertilize new crops.
- Through Thrive programs people learn to grow their own medicinal plants locally.
- Their mission is to bring sustainable food security to those who need it most.
This year our goal is to raise $15,000
Your pay-what-you-can purchase of the From Scratch Cooking cookbook can help support these communities build their own food gardens, healing medicine gardens, feed orphans and support the local economy in a local, sustainable way.
Get Your Copy And Join Us In Making It Happen
The Academy of Culinary Nutrition has put together this beautifully designed and easy to use digital cookbook as our way of giving back.
The 8th edition of the From Scratch Cooking Cookbook includes:
- 49 incredible gluten- and dairy-free recipes
- Vegan, Paleo and nut-free options
- Culinary nutrition tips
- Instant download upon purchase
- Pay-what-you-can pricing from $15
- 100% of proceeds go to Thrive
A lot of work and a lot of love has gone into the creation of every single recipe.
Please note that we only offer a digital option for this book. This allows us to continue to donate 100% of the money raised.
100% of your “pay-what-you-can” purchase of From Scratch Cooking goes towards this goal. Your digital copy of From Scratch Cooking: 8th Edition will be emailed to you within the hour.
Please select your payment amount below. Once your order goes through, watch your inbox for your copy and listen carefully for cheers of celebration from all of us at the Academy of Culinary Nutrition.
Select Your Purchase Amount
- As we are not the charity, we are unable to provide tax receipts. If you would like to make your donation directly to Thrive and get a tax receipt, in lieu of receiving a copy of From Scratch Cooking, you may do so here.
- This product is 100% digital. Nothing will be sent to you in the mail.
- No refunds; no exceptions.
Thrive Photos: Courtesy of Thrive