Are you ready for another episode of the Today Is The Day Podcast? Now that you’re up to speed on the best detoxing strategies, we are ready to move on to food and how it impacts your finances! Our third episode, How to Eat Healthy on a Budget, is now available on your favourite podcast platforms.
Today we’re challenging the belief that it is expensive to eat healthfully, looking at some powerhouse foods and answering the question: How can you maintain a healthy diet on a budget?
Subscribe and listen to the Today Is The Day Podcast on:
If you’re loving the podcast, please be sure to leave a review!
Episode Bonus: Budget Eating Cheat Sheet
This episode’s bonus is a printable cheat sheet that offers some handy reminders for how to stay healthy on a budget, including the best budget-friendly foods and lifestyle tips, along with delicious recipes and a complete meal planning template.
Covered In This Episode
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- How the amount of money people have spent on food has changed over time.
- Why you’re losing out on both savings and nutrition when you make processed foods your mainstay.
- Which foods are simultaneously very nutritious and easy on your wallet.
- How to get started on sprouting and growing your own healthy veggies at home.
- What North Americans are missing when they skip out on fermented foods like sauerkraut.
- About flax seeds: the forgotten superfood.
- To consider the season, location, and even your own garden in budgeting for your diet.
- Waste not, want not: tips for reducing the amount of food you end up throwing out.
- Why Meghan and Josh cooked up a storm and stocked up right before Finley was born.
Additional Resources Mentioned In The Episode
- Culinary Nutrition Guide to Sprouting
- 6 Easy Foods to Grow Indoors
- How to Make Sauerkraut
- Grain-Free Flax Crackers + the Health Benefits of Flax
- How to Best Store Produce (And Save Money in the Process)
- 10 Important Questions to Ask Your Farmer at the Market
- Stocking a Culinary Nutrition Pantry
- Healthy Batch Cooking 101
- 20 Best Freezer Meals for New Moms (and busy people)
- 5 Essential Meal Prepping Tips
- How to Reduce Food Waste + Best Zero Waste Recipes
- Wild Edibles: Guide to Harvesting + Enjoying the Best Wild Foods
- 20 Best Budget-Friendly Recipes
Connect With The Hosts
- Functional Nutrition Certification Program
- Functional Reset Program
- Josh on Instagram
- Josh on Facebook
Featured Culinary Nutrition Expert
Shannon Mulligan Mayernik, Founder of Mayernik Kitchen
Shannon is an herbalist and plant medicine maker, beekeeper and educator of all things local, seasonal and homemade. Shannon is the owner of Mayernik Kitchen, located in New Jersey, where she creates herbal products from homegrown or foraged herbs and weeds. Mayernik Kitchen offers organic tea blends, honey, tinctures and beauty care products that celebrate the beauties of the land and are great for our health!
Learn More: www.mayernikkitchen.com
More About The Culinary Nutrition Expert Program
- Program Overview: Check out the Culinary Nutrition Expert Program preview video and learn more
- RSVP to our next Program Information Session
- Free Training! Get instant access to a free Culinary Nutrition Mini Training
- Download and snuggle in with our Course Catalogue
- Join the team! Discover how you can become an Academy of Culinary Nutrition Certified Instructor
- Rave Reviews: See what our beloved grads have to say about us
Join Our Weekly Challenge!
To help you take what you learn in each episode to the next level, we’re offering new Today Is The Day Podcast challenges in our community group almost every week. Once in a while, Meghan and Josh will also pop in for a post-show Q&A. Join the community here.