Our students in the Culinary Nutrition Expert Program ask us a lot of questions about popular diets. With so many different diets to choose from, and many falling out of favour as quickly as the seasons change, it can be difficult to determine what is best to follow in the long run. Our seventh episode of the Today Is The Day Podcast, “Is the Gluten-Free Diet a Fad?”, is now available on your favourite podcast platforms.
Today is the day we’re diving in to the contentious topic of gluten. We answer the question of whether gluten-free eating is just a passing fad, or if there is evidence to support whether this vilified little group of proteins really should be avoided.
Subscribe and listen to the Today Is The Day Podcast on:
If you’re loving the show, please be sure to leave a review!
Covered In This Episode
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Meghan and Josh recount when they first went gluten-free and some of the obstacles gluten-sensitive people encounter.
- What actually is gluten, where can it be found, and why is it harmful to some people?
- The wide variety of gluten-free grains that a lot of people in the Western world are unfamiliar with.
- How gluten – and cross-reactivity – can trip certain bells and alarms in your body.
- Is gluten sensitivity rising, or is it just easier to detect with modern medicine?
- Why gluten and wheat in general can be so seemingly inescapable in today’s world.
- How Josh and Meghan learned about the extent of their gluten sensitivity the hard way.
- The modern methods used to test for gluten sensitivity and celiac disease.
- The remarkably fast rate you can begin to experience benefits once you cut out gluten.
- Tips to help you commit and stick to a gluten-free diet.
- A few helpful tips for figuring out which of your local restaurants are friendly to a gluten-free diet.
Episode Bonus: Gluten-Free Flour Guide + Substitution Reference
This episode’s bonus is a printable gluten-free flour guide that helps you learn how to substitute gluten-free flours in your favourite recipes.
Additional Resources Mentioned In The Episode
- Foods That Cross Reach With Gluten
- The Dark Side of White Flour
- Dairy and Gluten Allergies: Why Are They So Common in Children?
- 17 Surprising Sources of Gluten
- Is Gluten Really That Bad? Part 1
- Is Gluten Really That Bad? Part 2
- Interview with Dr. Thomas O’Bryan
- How to Stick to a Gluten-Free Diet
- Top 50 Gluten-Free Blogs
- 30 Best Gluten-Free Dinner Recipes
- 20 Best Kid-Friendly Gluten-Free Snacks
- Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight? Really?
- Should You Be Avoiding Grains?
- Grain Brain: Get it in the US and Get it in Canada
Connect With The Hosts
- Culinary Nutrition Expert Program preview video and learn more
- Meghan on Instagram
- Meghan on Facebook
- Functional Nutrition Certification Program
- Functional Reset Program
- Josh on Instagram
- Josh on Facebook
More About The Culinary Nutrition Expert Program
- Program Overview: Check out the Culinary Nutrition Expert Program preview video and learn more
- RSVP to our next Program Information Session
- Free Training! Get instant access to a free Culinary Nutrition Mini Training
- Download and snuggle in with our Course Catalogue
- Join the team! Discover how you can become an Academy of Culinary Nutrition Certified Instructor
- Rave Reviews: See what our beloved grads have to say about us
Featured Culinary Nutrition Expert
Jessica is an incredible recipe developer and blogger and we are grateful to have her on our team as a coach for the Culinary Nutrition Expert Program.
Since graduating in 2015, Jessica has been very active in sharing her knowledge. She has created online courses, provided one-on-one nutritional consulting and meal planning to lots of clients, as well as speaking to broader audiences through her website and social media channels, and interviews and articles for magazines, radio, television and more. Armed with the added kitchen confidence provided to her through the Culinary Nutrition Expert program, Jessica loves creating delicious and nutritious recipes, a passion she turned into the acclaimed and award-nominated Some Good – a modern cookbook using traditional Newfoundland ingredients in innovative dishes, with a healthy, whole food twist. She also launched a new website with her husband called Some Good Living, designed to inspire healthy living habits.
Join Our Weekly Challenge!
To help you take what you learn in each episode to the next level, we’re offering new Today Is The Day Podcast challenges in our community group almost every week. Once in a while, Meghan and Josh will also pop in for a post-show Q&A. Join the community here.