Editor’s Note: This recipe is courtesy of one of our honorary CNE program students, 17-year-old Macy Diulus. Macy is a dynamo who writes and photographs her own food blog, Paleo Crumbs, and has published an e-cookbook, Paleo Crumbs Fall Favourites. These mini galettes are the absolute cutest!
I love French inspired desserts! There is something so elegant and fancy about them that makes them simply so much fun to make.
These individual apple galettes are adorable, not to mention perfect for dinner parties and having friends over. Apples have such a beautiful and classic flavor that reminds me of my mom’s homemade apple pie she would make during the holidays growing up.
This crust is gluten-free and nut free and has a nice flavor from the ghee. Ghee (if sourced from grass fed butter and properly prepared) is both lactose and casein-free, contains many beneficial vitamins and has the fatty acids butyric acid and CLA. All in all, these galettes are a fun, eloquent, and delicious dessert that I hope you all enjoy!
I used Lovebean vegan caramel as a garnish, but you could also use extra maple syrup or top with a scoop of coconut ice cream. And, if you have some extra apple filling left over, use it as a yummy topping for coconut milk yogurt or some porridge.
- 3 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 tsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. vanilla
- Pinch salt
- ¾ cup tapioca starch
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup ghee
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. raw honey
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cold water
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp water
- Over medium heat, sauté the apple slices, maple syrup, ghee, cinnamon, vanilla and salt for about 6-8 minutes or until soft and tender. Take off heat and set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse together the tapioca starch, coconut flour, ghee, egg, raw honey and salt. Once the dough comes together, drizzle in the cold water. Pulse for 5 seconds.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal balls. Place one ball in between two pieces of parchment paper and roll until about ¼ inch thin.
- Peel off the top piece of parchment paper and neatly arrange the apples in the center of the rolled out ball of dough.
- Using the bottom piece of parchment paper as a guide, fold the edges of the crust towards the middle of the galette. Do this all the way around until the traditional galette shape is formed. Repeat with rest of dough balls.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Whisk together the egg and water for the egg wash and brush over the galettes.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes before serving. Top with coconut milk ice cream or some caramel sauce.