- ¼ cup organic Calendula petals, dried
- ¼ cup organic Plantain leaves, dried
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp cocoa butter wafers (grated beeswax could also be used, reduce to 1 Tbsp.)
- 6 drops Lavender essential oil
- 6 drops German (Blue) Chamomile essential oil
- ¼ tsp Vitamin E oil as a preservative (mixed tocopherols)
- Place the dried Calendula petals and dried Plantain leaves in gently warmed olive and coconut oils. Let the herbs infuse in the warmed oil, with the heat off, for at least 20 minutes. You could also infuse the herbs for several days.
- In a double boiler, melt the cocoa butter wafers (or grated beeswax) and set aside until the infused oil is ready.
- Strain the herbs out of the infused oil by lining a sieve with several layers of cheesecloth and placing sieve over a bowl. Pour the oil through the cheesecloth, gather all the edges of the cheesecloth and over the bowl squeeze all the oil out of the herbs. Your herbs and cheesecloth can be composted/recycled. It’s always nice to return the herbs to the earth!
- Mix the infused calendula/plantain oil with the melted cocoa butter.
- Add the Lavender and Chamomile essential oils and Vitamin E.
- Pour the salve into a clean glass jar and allow it to solidify at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Once cooled and solidified, put on a tight-fitting lid and label with the name of the salve and date it was made.
- The salve should be stable for at least 2 – 4 months at room temperature (use a spatula to take the salve out for use so as not to contaminate the salve) and for several months in the refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins