With so many allergies nowadays, finding safe and healthy snacks and treats can be a challenge – but it gets easier when you make recipes from scratch at home. This recipe for school safe energy bites is a perfect example – it’s simple, very flavourful and great for kids of all ages!
These allergen-friendly energy bites are in the latest edition of From Scratch Cooking, created by Culinary Nutrition Expert Suzy Larsen. The donations are rolling in for From Scratch 2020, our annual gluten-free and dairy-free e-cookbook for charity. The generosity you’ve displayed during these challenging times are astounding! We are certainly on our way to raising $15,000 for Thrive – thank you to those who have already bought a copy. 100% of your purchase will be donated to this worthy cause!
Like all of the recipes in From Scratch Cooking, this recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free. Pumpkin pie and carrot cake are the inspiration behind these energy balls full of brain-building omega-3s from hemp seeds and muscle-calming magnesium from pumpkin seeds. Figs round out the flavour and texture sensation while adding soluble fibre for great digestion. While most children around the world aren’t in school right now, this recipe is very allergen-friendly and it’s a good one to have in your back pocket for snacks during the day and to use once school begins in-person again!
Enjoy this sample recipe from Suzy.
Serves: 24 bites
- For the Energy Bites
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- 12 dried figs, chopped
- 2 medium-sized carrots, grated
- 1 cup shredded coconut, divided
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (see below)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup dried fruit (blueberries or cranberries)
- For the Pumpkin Pie Spice
- ¼ cup Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp ground cloves
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp allspice
- Make the pumpkin pie spice by adding all spices to a mason jar and shake.
- In a food processor, process seeds and figs. Add in carrot, ½ cup coconut, spice, vanilla and sea salt.
- Process another minute until well-combined. Add dried fruit and mix with a spoon.
- Using a ½ Tbsp measuring spoon, scoop out mix and roll into a ball. Repeat with remaining mixture. (They’ll be sticky – wet hands will help.)
- Place remaining coconut on a plate and roll each ball until covered. Refrigerate in a sealed container to store.
If you haven’t yet picked up your pay-what-you-can copy of From Scratch Cooking 2020, today is the day! This book will only be available for a limited time, so grab your copy!
Pay-what-you-can pricing begins at $15. If purchasing the book isn’t possible for you at this time, then please take the time to share this post! Every little bit helps.