What I love most about energy bites is that they are so easy to prepare ahead of time for convenient, healthy snacking during the work week. Preparation is the key to healthy eating. As if that weren’t reason enough, you can literally put whatever you desire into your bites – they’re super versatile in that respect.
Energy bites are meant to provide you with ENERGY – go figure! This recipe for energy bites is loaded with healthy fats in the form of raw seeds, coconut oil and nut butter. Contrary to popular belief, healthy fats don’t make us fat! Our body requires these good, health promoting fats for glowing skin, lustrous hair, a sharp mind, balanced hormones and fuel.
These bites are also packed with protein from the raw seeds and nut butter. The combination of protein and healthy fats is what will boost your energy and stabilize blood sugar levels (cinnamon is fantastic for this), all while staving off cravings. And did I mention they are downright yummy?
Spice cake meets carrot cake in this deliciously healthy recipe. Enjoy!
Photo by Tina Eriksson, courtesy of www.BananaBloom.com
- 2 medium carrots
- 5 dates, pitted
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 3 Tbsp almond butter
- 1 Tbsp raw honey
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla powder
- ¼ tsp each ground cloves, cardamom and nutmeg
- pinch of sea salt
- Shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
- Ground cinnamon
- Sesame seeds
- Pulse carrots in the food processor first. Then add all remaining ingredients and process until relatively smooth.
- Taking about 1 Tbsp of the mixture at a time and roll until it's in the shape of a ball. Coat with either sesame seeds, ground cinnamon, shredded coconut or a mixture of the three.
- Allow the energy bites to set for about an hour in the freezer. I use a cookie sheet to hold all of them.
- Once set, they will keep in an airtight container refrigerated for about a week. I also like to prepare a giant batch of these bites, freezing them and taking them out as needed.