Since early 2020, there have been vast worldwide changes – and for many of us, that has meant more time at home cooking up a storm. The graduates of the Culinary Nutrition Expert Program have been using their cooking and recipe development skills for a great cause, donating their gluten-free and dairy-free recipes for our digital cookbook, From Scratch Cooking 8th Edition. 100% of the purchase price of the cookbook will be donated to charity and today we’re sharing a simple sweet potato hash recipe from the cookbook as a sneak peek!
In our 8th edition of From Scratch Cooking, you’ll find beautiful, simple and health-supportive recipes created and generously shared by members of our Culinary Nutrition Expert Community. We are working towards creating a global change – one where health and happiness are experienced for the duration of our lifespan.
This cookbook is an important way for our graduates to share the delicious recipes they developed during their time as Culinary Nutrition Expert students and to contribute to a much-needed cause. Food security has always been a challenge around the world, but in our current circumstances, these issues have been illuminated.
At the Academy of Culinary Nutrition, we aim to share the fundamental importance of how food and culinary skills can transform our health and the health of the world. Giving is a big part of the plan.
We have a rare luxury that most people on the planet do not. We are able to choose the food we eat to fuel our cells and our lives. And we’d like everyone around the world to have this ability.
We aim to raise $15,000 for Thrive and we hope you will consider supporting this goal with your purchase of From Scratch Cooking 8th Edition.
More About Thrive
This is the fifth time we have partnered with Thrive, an outstanding Canadian-based not-for-profit that donates 100% of earnings to field projects that help empower rural communities in Africa to work toward a healthy and fair food system. They do this by equipping small-scale farmers with the resources and knowledge to farm organically and productively, so they can become self-sustaining. Thrive focuses on four key areas:
- Organic Gardening: Using organic growing techniques to grow a variety of food year-round in difficult, dry, or barren areas.
- Nutrition: Selecting local and nutrient-dense crops that will best support health (that’s culinary nutrition!)
- Natural Medicine: Growing herbal medicine plants that can help protect and address a variety of common health conditions.
- Income Generation: Teaching farmers to earn an income from their crops in a self-sustaining way.
They also have the Thrive Institute, an online learning platform that empowers and equips students with the training needed to start ‘Life Gardens’ and grow nutritious, disease-fighting foods.
CUMULATIVE IMPACT OF FROM SCRATCH COOKING
From Scratch Cooking has had an incredible impact around the world since its first edition in 2014. These are some of the amazing results:
- In 2014, we raised $2,500 for Charity: Water and $4,000 for Thrive. These funds trained a community leader, brought wells to three communities, and fed over 200 orphans with fresh, organic food.
- In 2015, we raised $5,000 for Kiva, a lending organization that helps people around the world start their own businesses. The money funded 35 projects that span a variety of countries and industries. Nearly 90% of our loan recipients were women, and more than half were working in the food and agriculture sectors. Many of these loans have already been repaid and we’ve been able to subsequently lend more than $9,800 to borrowers all over the world!
- We raised an additional $2,500 in 2015 to support the Canadian Red Cross on the ground following the Nepal earthquake.
- In 2016, we raised $12,400 for Pencils of Promise, a non-profit that helps to build schools in Ghana, Guatemala, and Laos. Your contributions have helped Pencils of Promise build schools for those who need them most, as well as fund programs that focus on teacher support, community health, and student literacy.
- In 2017, we chose a national Canadian charity called Community Food Centres Canada, a non-profit that creates welcoming spaces where people come together to grow, cook, share, and advocate for good food. We raised $10,500, which went towards food access and food skill programs in local Canadian communities.
- Following the hurricanes in September 2017 that ravaged the Caribbean, we raised an additional $2,000 for the Canadian Red Cross.
- In 2018, we raised $12,000 for Thrive.
- In 2019, we raised $18,220 for Thrive.
- In early 2020, we raised $5,000 for Red Cross Australia.
- In the summer of 2020, we raised $17,200 for Thrive.
That’s just over $90,000 we’ve raised for charity through tasty recipes.
From Scratch Cooking 8th Edition includes:
- 49 incredible gluten-free and dairy-free recipes
- Vegan and paleo options
- Culinary nutrition tips
- Instant download upon purchase
- Pay-what-you-can pricing from $15
- 100% of the purchase price goes to Thrive
Sweet Potato Hash: A From Scratch 8th Edition Recipe
Today, we want to share one of the From Scratch Cooking 8th Edition recipes with you – a delicious sweet potato hash by Culinary Nutrition Expert Nicola Solomonides.
Nicola is based in Limassol, Cyprus and offers personalized meal plans, cooking workshops, custom recipe development and more through her business Good Gut Feelings. Having longtime personal experience with inflammatory bowel diseases, she’s passionate about helping others with digestive issues and chronic illness to eat for health and be active patients.
This is such a versatile recipe. You can make it as a side dish, a main for lunch/dinner or even for breakfast – it’s just a great one-pot dish you can throw together very quickly.
To make this recipe vegan:
- swap the ghee for coconut oil
- use vegetable broth instead of bone broth
- pair with tempeh bacon or another great meat substitute
Serve this sweet potato hash with:
- a side salad
- eggs cooked any style
- an animal protein of choice
- gluten-free grains such as brown rice, millet, quinoa or buckwheat
- seasoned beans
- cauliflower rice
- dairy-free cheese
For more fantastic recipes like this, get your copy of From Scratch Cooking 8th Edition, which is only available for a limited time. Pay-what-you-can pricing begins at $15. If purchasing the book isn’t possible for you at this time, then please take the time to share this post! Every little bit helps.Print