One pot meals are a lifesaver in the kitchen when you are short on time or want to make a healthful meal with little fuss. This sweet potato lentil goulash is bound to become your next family favourite. It’s an ultra-satisfying vegan dish that is packed with anti-oxidants and immune-boosting nutrients, as well as tons of fibre. More importantly, it’s comforting and utterly delish!
This delicious gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan recipe comes from our 2018 edition of From Scratch Cooking, our annual e-cookbook for charity. For this project our Culinary Nutrition Expert Program graduates donate their recipes and we give 100% of the proceeds to worthy causes.
Candra Reynolds is the Culinary Nutrition Expert and blogger behind Wife of a Grocer who created this beaut. Candra is an extremely talented recipe developer and photographer, plus she shares plenty of great tips about cooking for families.
This is an extremely satisfying meal due to the protein and fibre-packed lentils, along with the hearty sweet potatoes, tasty bell peppers and celery, and immune-boosting garlic and onions. It’s a great option to eat during the fall and winter, when you need those extra nutrients for resilience, but you can truly enjoy this one all year round.
The pumpkin seed oil added near the end of cooking truly adds a unique flavour to the dish. If you can’t find it, try olive oil instead – or leave out the oil entirely.
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 cups water
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cubed sweet potato
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup pumpkin seed oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Cayenne, to taste
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Rinse lentils and place them in a pot with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 - 20 minutes.
- In a large pan add 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Turn the heat to medium and add garlic and onions. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add sweet potato, celery, and red pepper. Stir and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add cooked lentils, pumpkin seeds and remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil. Combine mixture and simmer, covered, on low heat for 15 minutes. If anything starts to stick you can add a few tablespoons of water.
- Remove from heat and add pumpkin seed oil, salt and cayenne pepper to taste. Continue to stir away from heat for a few minutes.
- Add ½ cup chopped parsley to serve.
You can find more tasty gluten-free, plant-based and dairy-free recipes in From Scratch 2018 – get your copy here.