You really can’t go wrong with a bowl of broth and gluten-free noodles – it’s a superstar combo that is ultra comforting and easy! This Thai-inspired Paleo noodle bowl soup recipe combines the beautiful flavours of Thai food with the incredible nutrient-rich properties of bone broth. Perfect for winter, this warming anti-inflammatory noodle bowl is kicking it grain-free and Paleo with spaghetti squash noodles – plus it has fat-fueled coconut milk, rich Thai spices and colourful veggies.
This delicious gluten-free and dairy-free recipe comes from our 2016 edition of From Scratch Cooking, our annual e-cookbook for charity. For this project our Culinary Nutrition Expert Program graduates donate their recipes and we give 100% of the proceeds to worthy causes.
One of our 2016 graduates, Stephanie Long, created this beauty. She’s a holistic nutritionist and business coach who helps nutrition and wellness professionals grow their businesses. She also has a fantastic podcast!
You can easily make this recipe vegan by using vegetable stock and if you’d like to use a grain-based noodle or pasta instead of spaghetti squash that is an option, too. No matter what you choose, grab your favourite bowl and slurp away!
And for more gluten-free and dairy-free recipes, grab your copy of From Scratch 2016.
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups spaghetti squash
- 2 cups bone broth (or veggie stock)
- 1 14 ounce can coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp Thai Spice Mix (recipe follows)
- 1 Tbsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp ground chillis
- 2 Tbsp dried lemongrass
- 2 Tbsp dried lime zest
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp dried ginger
- Put all spice mix ingredients into a spice grinder and grind into a fine powder.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Cut the spaghetti squash in half and place the halves cut-side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Roast for 35-45 minutes.
- When cooked and cool enough to handle, scrape out 2 cups of spaghetti squash with a fork and set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat. When oil is melted, add in ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant, around 3-5 minutes.
- Add in coconut milk, bone broth, bell peppers, spaghetti squash and Thai spice mix. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer for 15 minutes.