For the Crust
- ¾ cup cooked red quinoa, drained well
- 2 tablespoons buckwheat flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
For the Spinach Filling
- 1/3 cup of tofu (approximately 1/3 block of tofu)
- 8 ounces of fresh baby spinach leaves
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of your favourite non-diary milk
- ½ cup carrots, shredded
- ½ white onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- pinch of pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Place a few layers of paper towel on a plate. Then cut tofu into small cubes and place on plate and press with another towel allowing the paper towel to soak up the water. Place tofu on a baking sheet in a single layer and sprinkle with salt. Put in the oven for 10 minutes.
- While tofu is cooking, prepare your spinach filling. Heat a skillet to medium high then sauté your onions in coconut oil for 2 minutes. Add carrots and cook for another minute. Pour maple syrup (optional) over carrots and onions and continue to cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add baby spinach and garlic powder and cook until wilted and there is no extra liquid in your pan. Add thyme, salt and pepper. Cook for another 30 seconds and set aside in a bowl to cool.
- After tofu is finished cooking, add to the spinach bowl and place in the refrigerator so it can cool quickly.
- While your spinach filling is cooling, make your crust. In a small bowl add cooked quinoa, salt, olive oil, egg and buckwheat flour. Mix well. Add baking powder and mix again. Place in 4 mini quiche dishes and cook for 10 minutes.
- After your crust is finished cooking, whip two eggs in a small bowl. Remove spinach filling from refrigerator and add the eggs and milk. Stir quickly for another 30 seconds.
- Remove quinoa crusts from oven. Pour spinach pie mixture over the four mini crusts. Reduce oven to 400 F and bake for 10-14 minutes or until golden brown.
- Category: Main Dish