- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 orange and 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (smoked is nice) + more to taste
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder (or more if you like it spicy)
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked beans
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black rice (about ½ cup dried)
- Romaine lettuce leaves, chopped
- Red onion
- Fresh cherry tomatoes
- Melt the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers and sauté until the onions are translucent and the peppers have softened slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Add the minced jalapeño, garlic and spices and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in the canned tomatoes and stir to incorporate. Now reduce the heat and simmer covered until the peppers and onions are soft, another 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and rice and cook until just heated through. Taste and add more salt if desired.
- Serve over a bed of lettuce garnished with avocado slices, red onion, salsa, fresh tomatoes and cilantro.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Main